5 minute read
The Ultimate Guide To Polyphenols
Your microbiome loves them, but do you know why your body needs them? In this blog we're going to break down the fundamentals of polyphenols, why they're crucial, and how you can incorporate them into your diet. Let's dive into the benefits behind them and how they help prevent common health issues.
What are polyphenols?
Polyphenols are micronutrients that naturally occur within plants, and assist with keeping you healthy including protecting against certain health issues. With over 8,000 types of polyphenols, there are many foods and beverages that easily allow you to incorporate them into your diet. There are four main groups of polyphenols:
• Phenolic Acids
• Polyphenolic Amides
• Other Polyphenols - This includes whole grains, curcumin (found in turmeric), sesame seeds, and more.
According to recent research, these micronutrients have antioxidant properties that have been associated with health benefits in the prevention of a range of degenerative and age-related diseases.
Interesting fact: "...one gram of polyphenols is ten times more than the required amount of Vitamin C, and 100 times greater than that of Vitamin E!" Flavonoids and Phenolic Acids, are the two main types of polyphenols. Flavonoids make up around 60% of all polyphenols. They can be found within fruits, vegetables, supplements, and other beverages or foods.
blk. is infused with fulvic acid which contains over 77+ trace minerals including flavonoids. It helps you easily replenish antioxidants in your body, and provide support for the microbiome.
How can polyphenols benefit your health?
Since polyphenols are abundant in antioxidants, they have been associated with various health benefits. Research studies suggest that polyphenol rich diets can protect against inflammatory issues. According to Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, polyphenols can assist in the management of inflammatory IBS.
Aside from inflammation management, polyphenols may benefit digestion with the promotion of beneficial gut bacteria. A study by Nutrients MDPI stated, "Evidence from preclinical and clinical studies suggest that polyphenols are able to express prebiotic properties and exert antimicrobial activities against pathogenic gut microflora."
Diets rich in these micronutrients may also provide assistance with focus and memory. In one study researchers concluded that, "These preliminary findings suggest that supplementation with Concord grape juice may enhance cognitive function for older adults with early memory decline and establish a basis for more comprehensive investigations to evaluate potential benefit and assess mechanisms of action."
How can you incorporate polyphenols into your diet?
We broke down some of our favorite foods, spices, and beverages that are rich in polyphenols.
• Fruits: Apples, blueberries, lemon, grapes, strawberries, and cherries.
• Vegetables: Broccoli, carrots, spinach, potatoes, and asparagus.
• Nuts and Seeds: Flax seeds, almonds, and pecans.
• Grains: Oats, whole wheat, and rye.
• Herbs and spices you can add to meals: Cinnamon, rosemary, thyme, cumin, and dried basil.
• Beverage: Functional beverage, tea, and coffee. However, when it comes to beverages that are high in polyphenols, you want to ensure you're not only increasing bioavailability but that you're also giving your immune system the support it needs. blk. water is a functional beverage that is available in 12 delicious flavors, original, and drops. You can conveniently provide your body the polyphenols it depends on. Loaded with powerful antioxidants, blk.'s fulvic acid assists with nutrient absorption, gut health, energy, detoxing, and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Polyphenols contain health-promoting properties that are rich in antioxidants. It is important to continuously incorporate various micronutrients into meals to reap their benefits. Although there are certain foods or supplements you can consume on a daily basis, it's good to have a convenient back up that easily gives your body polyphenols. Our fulvic infused functional beverage gives you the ability to incorporate powerful antioxidants and over 77+ trace minerals into your diet all while increasing your bodies bioavailability.
Fulvic acid works with your body at a cellular level to help support or dispose of damaged cells, promote healthy cell function, and optimize the bioavailability of many of the nutrients you consume. It is loaded with soil-based polyphenols so you can stay hydrated and feeling your best. By adding blk. to your diet, your body will extract more of the nutrients from the foods you eat and easily provide your body with antioxidants. When it comes to helping you feel and perform your best, it's all about having a powerhouse ingredient in your diet.